[Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:23:54 +0100

Hi,

I'm about to write the "recording" chapter for the manual, and I would like
you (mainly Remon) to clarify some points:

- I assume that the recording format (sampling rate, bit depth) is given by
the audio backend. If that is correct, I would suggest in the manual that
users who need a different format than the default ALSA settings should use
qjackctl and set the sample rate and bit depth there.

- What happens if I mix clips with different file formats (sr, bit depth) in
one song? Is it possible?

- On cheap soundblaster or onboard sound cards switching between line-in and
mic input is done either in KMix (or alsamixer), or in qjackctl. Is that
correct? Better sound cards seem to be able to record from several input
channels with ALSA and jack. In that case, assigning a capture bus in
Traverso allows to record these channels. Is that how it is done correctly?
(I don't have a multichannel card, so I don't know.)

- I saw that there are key commands for recording the left or right channel
only, or both (<J K> <K L> <J L>). Is it working already? Does it
automatically create a mono clip if only one side is recorded? Is there any
visual feedback showing which channel is recorded?

- Anything else I should add to the chapter?

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Nic