Re: [Traverso-devel] trying latest CVS

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] trying latest CVS
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:36:22 +0100

Remon wrote:
>> Just tried the latest CVS version. it's all very nice!
>
> Thanks :-)

You're welcome! =)

>> But it died with this when exiting:
>
> On exit ?
> Hmmmm....
>
>> Catched the SIGSEGV signal!
>> Unable to process thread save adding/removing of object into audio
>> processing execution path!
>> This is most likely caused by the audiodevice thread (or Jacks' one)
>> gone wild or stalled
>> One issue could be that you are not running with real time privileges!
>> Please check for this!
>> To improve future program behaviour, please report this so we can sort
>> out the problem!
>>
>> I've never actually used linux (my own computer) for this kind of audio
>> work and i'm not sure how to run it with realtime privs (except running
>> it as root, which I rather not)... Can anyone give me a hint? =)
>> Anyhow, it shouldn't crash just because you don't run it with rt privs,
>> right?
>
> I think this message is a side effect of another problem, due the fact you
> get
> the SIGSEGV signal. Most likely due the signal handler interrupting the audio
> thread, traverso thinks something has gone wrong.
> Did you use the alsa driver, or jacks one ?

ALSA.
By the way, is it hard to put in a menubox to choose the alsa devices
(input and output)?

> Debian / Ubuntu use the modified pam module, which gives users in the group
> audio real time privileges, so normally it should work fine.
> If that's not the case, then there are a number of ways to obtain realtime
> priveleges, but the easiest thing is to upgrade to a distro version with the
> modified pam :-)

I'm running GoboLinux, don't think they have any PAM package/recipe...
But I guess it's just about downloading the pam sources and apply some
special woodo realtime patch and then recompile traverso? Or no.. I
guess I'll have to recompile the whole login suite too, right?

> Still weird you get a sigsegv on exit, is it reproducable ?

Nope! Only sometimes.

>> Then some questions:
>>
>> - is all the available actions listed in the Q menu?
>
> Yes, the Song menu is a little hard to open, need to find a way to make that
> easier ( you have to point to an area which isn't covered by
> tracks/audioclips)

I think it would be great if the Q menu could show *all* key actions
that would do anything on the pointed area. The ones specific for that
area could be on top, with a separator between them and the others.

>> - is the curve view supposed to work?
>
> Yes, < F2 >, and < F1 > to go back to edit view.

But one can't draw any curves yet, since there's no plugin support? or
do I need to enable lv2 support somewhere before building?

>> - copying a clip should draw the clip while dragging it so you see where
>> it goes..
>
> Copy clip is a little broken I think, did it work for you ?
> Might in fact be the problem of the sigsegv during exit.....

It works here, even though it's hard to know where you actually put the
copy...

> But you obviously have a point here. Painting the whole clip, or just its
> contour, what do you think ?

The whole clip, just like [D] drag!

>> - i think it would be good to always play from the work cursor when
>> pressing SPACE, but continuing from last playpos when pressing something
>> other... (you most often want to replay a part instead of continuing)
>
> Anyone a suggestion on this one ?

On the other hand, doing W and SPACE is quite fast too... So it's not a
big problem.

>> And, my main feature requests:
>>
>> - audio source and clip list/tree pane, where clips and whole files can
>> be dragged and dropped onto tracks
>
> I actually started on this, obviously since there is the audio sources/clips
> view, but making it work is a crime in Qt 4. The tree view classes, model
> view architecture, reimplementing tons and tons of functions, I just don't
> get it.
> I would love if someone with more experience in this area could have a look
> make it at least functional!
> (the drag and drop for one)

Ok, I see. I know how to do it in GTK but not QT.. =/

>> - "offline" processing of clip or whole track through external app
>> (sox), as said before, it could be a *really* simple but powerfull
>> dialog with a commandline entry where some variable is replaced by input
>> and output file... a powerful tool for powerusers! ordinary users will
>> have to wait until we make nice GUI frontends for sox and have working
>> plugins.. =)
>
> It would be very helpfull I think if you can describe what actions you have
> in
> mind, and what you expect to happen!
> Some kind of pseudo code, then it should indeed be very easy to make that
> work.
> (Qt has a special class for invoking commands out of the program, very easy
> use!)

Sure!

external_processor(clip) {
  cmd = get_string_from_user(); //pops up dialog with string entry
  if(cmd==NULL) return; //user pressed Cancel

  tmpfile = make_tmp_filename();
  export_clip_audio_to_file(tmpfile); //32 bit float works fine with sox

  outfile = make_source_filename(); //just like when recording, guess

                                    //you have a function for this..

  cmd = replace(cmd,"%IF",tmpfile,"%OF",outfile);
  run_command(cmd);

  delete_file(tmpfile);

  newclip = make_clip_of_whole_source(outfile);
  remove_clip_from_track(clip);  //should still be available in the
                                 //source/clip store, if one wants to
                                 //drag it back...
  add_clip_to_track(newclip);
}

example command: "sox %IF %OF lowpass 1000"

>> - track/index marks in the songview, and ability to export whole song to
>> a single WAV + TOC file for burning with CDRDAO (which is supported by
>> k3b by the way, for you KDE folks... =)
>
> Anything else ?
> LOL

Yeah, can I have a vegetarian pizza with that? And a beer.. ;)
Seriously, I understand CD export is a big feature for the future, just
wanted to include it in my list...

> Yeah I know, and Nicola wants routing, plugins, subbuses, Niklas wants ....
> and what about me ?

Yes, what do you want? =)

> Let's make a deal, you guys donate xxxx euros, and I make it work for you
> real
> soon :D

I would if I could afford it...

--