Re: [Traverso-devel] Fades: keys and behaviour

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Fades: keys and behaviour
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:11:24 +0100

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 13. Februar 2007 12:34 schrieb Remon:
> Nicola mentioned that Fades are broken. The painting indeed sometimes is
> wrong, but apart from that, they work as far as I know?

Only tested on PPC, please confirm if you experience the same problems:

- as you say, painting is pretty botchy ATM
- [S] to change the "strength" value doesn't work
- set "strength" to 1.0 by default, since changing mode from linear to
long/bended/s-shape should immediately change the shape. (As long as strength
is 0, all modes are linear)
- the <E> dialog has no functionality anymore, so we should get rid of it
- the cursor should not move while changing values, because it quickly leaves
the fade area, which feels confusing (mainly if the it enters another fade
area).
- it should be more robust in critical situations:
        - if the clip becomes shorter than the fade, the length of the fade
should
          start to shrink (the upper fade points (at 0 dB) should never lie
outside
          of the clip)
        - fade-in and fade-out should not be able to overlap (see fade
attachment)

> What I wanted to ask some time now.
>
> Currently, the [ FG ] and [ GH ] are used to set the range of fade in/out.
> I always have found this clumsy to use, what about just using [ F ], and
> when the mouse is at the left half of the clip, start setting the range of
> the fade in, and if at the right half, set the range of fade out. (Like
> move edge on audioclip: [ E ] )

I never had a problem with [F G] and [G H], but [F] seems indeed more
consistent.

> Another 'problem', by how much should the fade range grow/shrink ?
> By 1 pixel at a time, by xx seconds, or ?
> Currently they move by some fixed amount of samples, RFC please.

I would say it should follow exactly the movement of the mouse cursor. It's a
bit hard to make long fades at the moment.

And while we're at it: I would prefer if dragging edge behavour would be a bit
different. See attached edge1.png for an explanation. Any comments on that
suggestion are welcome.

Best regards,
Nic