Re: [Traverso-devel] Fwd: Re: A small drag_clip / drag_edge implementati

From: ben levitt
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Fwd: Re: A small drag_clip / drag_edge implementation
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:05:17 -0700

On 3/21/07, Remon <address@hidden> wrote:
> For fun, I also added an HKEY2 entry for CTRL+LeftMouseButton to copy
> an AudioClip, since I'm used to using acid music, which allows this.

Hmm, isn't that rather hard to perform ? You have to press them at the (exact)
same time....
Will try it out, and of course, you are free to add as much keyfacts to the
keymap as you like!

You're right, it's not super easy.  Maybe there should be 2 new event
types?  M_FKEY and M_HKEY?  For Modified Clicks and Modified Drags?
Modified would mean key1 (the modifier) has to be pressed, and then
key2 pressed while key1 is still down (but not necessarily at the same
time, although that would have to work too).

Ooo! Then the cursor shape to show could be chosen based on what
commands the keymap defines for the currently hovered object, given
the currently held modifier if any.  Cool...

(Just popping into my mind, if you use the Plugin method, you could set
the 'edge width' as parameter in the arguments attribute! like
arguments="true;4" , just an idea... hmm, well, it's really just that hehe)

Ah, good point.  That would be way cooler.  :)  I'll convert it, and
add a bug/patch.

So, here's a question: Which command slots should be in the
AudioClipView, etc. and which should be in the plugin?  Should they
all be migrated to the plugin?

> I also want to make a command to drag the edge with the audio anchored
> to the edge that you're moving (so sort of combining moving the clip,
> while adjusting the opposite edge to keep it from moving in the scene.)

(And if you don't mind a little more explanation, I don't get exactly what you
want to do...)

So I was thinking that dragging an edge should move the edge the same
way it works now, but dragging the edge with some modifier (shift?) or
by using a new HKEY / HKEY2, could drag the edge while moving the
audio along with it.  So if you dragged the left edge, the end result
would be that the same frame of the audio would be the first frame
that gets played of this clip, but it would start at a new location.
Hmmm... I think this might be best explained through ASCII Art.  :)

Start with:
[123456]  (imagine 123456 is how the waveform looks.  :]  )

Normal drag of the left edge to the right gives:
 [3456]  (how it works now, and should still work by default)

Modified drag of the left edge would instead give:
 [1234]  (how my new modified drag would work)

Similarly, a normal drag of the right edge to the left would give:
[1234]
and a modified drag would give:
[3456]

I just know that sometimes when editing, I want to do this, and it
would be great to be able to do it in a single motion, instead of
having to move the edge, and then the clip.

Does that make sense?

I imagine that to do this, I should add a bool argument to the edge
dragging command?  And then add a new slot to call the command in the
non-default way?

Thanks!
Ben