Re: [Traverso-devel] Cursors

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Cursors
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:46:48 +0200

Hi Ben,

> I just committed some cursor changes.  Here's a summary:

OK, thanks!

>  - <LeftMouseButton> and [LeftMouseButton] on the song view move the work
> cursor

Ah, yeah. But if it is _also_ for moving a clip, it might start to be
confusing. When your song is  mostly empty, this action will start to move
the work cursor, but when your tracks are full of clips.....
It might perhaps be better to just have one key for the workcursor, but that's
just my idea :-)

> - While transporting, moving the work cursor doesn't move the play
> cursor -

That's nice indeed!

> When not transporting, moving the work cursor hides the play
> cursor, which reappears at the work location when transport starts
> again

Works smooth, I think I like this one too!

>  - dragging [SPACE] moves the playcursor (and shows it if it was hidden)

No change from previous behavior, right ? Except that it becomes visible again
if it was hidden.

>  - zooming centers on the work cursor

K.

> I also made a few keymap changes:
>  - modified Alt-Z zooms out  :)

On a us type of keyboard, placing  your left hand into the typing position
(your pointing finger of the left hand is on the F key), this action is
terrible to perform, whereas < Z > and < ZX > are very natural...
Just my $ 0.02 :D

(But it's no problem if you like this one more, other people might like it
more too, and it doesn't stand in the way, that's the beauty if this system)

>  - clicking in a curve view no longer adds a node.  Now requires
> double clicking.

OK, the single click was just an experiment. Might need another key fact for
use with the keyboard as well.

>  - CTRL-LeftMouseButton now drags a clip copy, instead of CTRL-ALT-LMB

OK

>  - dragging a marker and a curve node can be done with LMB

Yeah, for new users this could be a good thing, but once you get used to [ D ]
if feels more natural. My experience is that one can do the dragging much
more accurately and with less concentration, due the fact that the right hand
isn't forced to do 2 things at the same time, keeping the left mouse button
pressed, moving the hand to get the marker, node, clip, whatever into the
correct position, and then very carefully keep it at that position, while
releasing the left mouse button.

The left mouse button might also be more appropriate, or another mouse button,
not sure, to adjust the mouse sensitiveness during a move action.
(I've been talking about that feature for way to long, I just should make it
work! :-) )

>  - disabled anchored dragging until I get a chance to clean it up some more
>
> Remon: I definitely changed the feel of the app with these changes.
>
> :)  But I think it feels a lot more usable this way.  If you feel
>
> otherwise, please tell me, and I'll revert.  (But I'll probably still
> try to convince you for a while first...)  :)

Well, see comments above. It is much more intuitive for new users, that's for
sure, and it's still up to the user which keyfact he/she likes the most!

So, let's just see how this feels in the long term, and see how the others
like the feel of these actions!

Greetings,