Re: [Traverso-devel] song splitting during export

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] song splitting during export
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:29:55 +0200

Hi,

> I wanted to know if it is possible (or coud be possible) to split a song
> into several wav (or ogg, flac ...) files during export, based on markers.
>
> This would make possible to have different tracks on a CD even for a long
> and continuous recording (like a live take).
>
> I may ignore if this can be achieved differently (in a CD burner app for
> example) so any help would be appreciated.

I added an export format for cdrdao yesterday. It doesn't split the files at
marker positions, but it writes a WAVE and a TOC file with the marker
positions. If you burn it on a CD, tracks will be added at marker positions.
You can write the CD with the command "cdrdao write file.toc" and probably some
options specifying the correct drive. It is completely untested, though, and
there may be some issues if no end marker is present. Also make sure that there
is a marker at the very beginning of the song.

At the moment there is only one way to add an end marker if there isn't one for
any reason: Remove all markers and re-add them. Along with the first marker,
another one at the beginning and an end marker at the end will be inserted
automatically.

Currently one Song corresponds to one CD. If you export all Songs, you will get
a TOC file for each song, rather than one for the entire project. This will
change in future.

It's not quite what you suggested, since you need to burn a CD and rip it in
order to get the tracks in MP3 or OGG format. But at least it is possible
somehow, and a direct export to track files should not be difficult to
implement. Please report problems / success to the list, I'm curious to hear if
it works (but I'm not able to answer e-mails before friday).

Greetings
Nicola