[Traverso-devel] Alsa driver & non-ascii project names

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Alsa driver & non-ascii project names
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:09:59 -0400

Hello,

These are two minor issues I noticed recently:

1/ Alsa driver

From what I understand, when Traverso is configured to use Alsa, it creates a specific alsa driver at the start of each session. This driver takes exclusive control of the sound card. On session exit, it switches back to the then prevailing Alsa configuration.

I have noticed some curious behaviors around this:

- After a Traverso session, the "mic" input is open even if it was closed before (My sound card is a basic Soundblaster card based on the ENS1371 chip. There are two physical inputs: "line-in" and "mic");

- After a Traverso session, when starting a new one, only the left "line-in" input channel is open. To re-enable the right channel, I have to close and then re-open the "line-in" input in alsa-mixer.

This strange behaviors are probably not only Traverso-related, but I'm mentioning them for reference purposes.

2/ non-ascii project names

I tried using a non-ascii project name (with an accented letter in it). Everything seemed to work properly except recording and audio-import.

When recording, a bottom-screen red message complains about a missing resource. Recording seems to progress well, but when the space bar is pressed to stop it, Traverso crashes.

When importing an audio file, a message about the unavailability of some resource makes it impossible (it seems that Traverso is unable to read the audio file since its url is malformed).

I'm using the fr_FR.UTF-8 locale.

Again, this may not be Traverso-related.

Paul