Re: [Traverso-devel] Alsa driver & non-ascii project names

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Alsa driver & non-ascii project names
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:24:24 +0200

Hello Paul,

> These are two minor issues I noticed recently:

> 1/ Alsa driver
> >From what I understand, when Traverso is configured to use Alsa, it
> > creates
>
> a specific alsa driver at the start of each session. This driver takes
> exclusive control of the sound card. On session exit, it switches back to
> the then prevailing Alsa configuration.

Traverso does basically the same as what jackd does, it configures the
audiocard. In fact, Traverso uses the very same code to setup the
audiodevice!

> I have noticed some curious behaviors around this:

> - After a Traverso session, the "mic" input is open even if it was closed
> before (My sound card is a basic Soundblaster card based on the ENS1371
> chip. There are two physical inputs: "line-in" and "mic");
>
> - After a Traverso session, when starting a new one, only the left
> "line-in" input channel is open. To re-enable the right channel, I have to
> close and then re-open the "line-in" input in alsa-mixer.
>
> This strange behaviors are probably not only Traverso-related, but I'm
> mentioning them for reference purposes.

Strange indeed. Could you please test it with Jack too, and see if the same
thing happens?
If you're able to test with jackd, please, also give the jackd version.

> 2/ non-ascii project names
>
> I tried using a non-ascii project name (with an accented letter in it).
> Everything seemed to work properly except recording and audio-import.
>
> When recording, a bottom-screen red message complains about a missing
> resource. Recording seems to progress well, but when the space bar is
> pressed to stop it, Traverso crashes.
>
> When importing an audio file, a message about the unavailability of some
> resource makes it impossible (it seems that Traverso is unable to read the
> audio file since its url is malformed).
>
> I'm using the fr_FR.UTF-8 locale.
>
> Again, this may not be Traverso-related.

Oops, good to know that the recording routine checking is not sufficient for
this problem, Traverso obviously should not crash!
In fact, this problem might have been fixed allready in cvs, but I'll test!

The non-ascii problem is a known one, the problem seems to happen with
libsndfile not accepting non-ascii characters.
But perhaps it's just a wrong type of conversion I did, I'll make some tests
again!

Thanks for reporting,