Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso on OS X

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso on OS X
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 13:33:49 +0200

> Thanks, I just couldn't resist when I saw how much faster Feisty became on
> a PC. And since Feisty is no longer released for PPC, I was sort of forced.
> And let me tell you: The new laptop is bloody fast. Linux support is very
> good (except WLAN, which doesn't work with encryption yet). And the
> hi-gloss screen it not as bad as I thought. Right now I'm lying under a
> tree in the shade ;-) and I see very weak reflections, but due to the
> higher brightness it is still much easier to read than my old Powerbook.

Nice!
My parents have a notebook with high gloss screen too, and although it has
some reflections, the quality is so much better!

And this one for sure will fly!
(I know since the configuration is almost the same as my desktop pc :) )

> > Just in case you didn't notice, slv2 code is imported in traverso now, so
> > you
> > only need it's dependencies installed...(librdf, librasqal)
>
> That's what I did. I only activated LV2 in the project file and had to
> compile librdf, librasqal and some more manually, but not slv2.

OK.

> > > Importing wave files doesn't work yet,

> I have some backtrace info, which is attached to the end of this mail.
> Seems like it is related to multithreading (thread 10 crashed, you have to
> scroll down towards the end). I'm using Qt 4.2.3 because the 4.3 snapshot
> doesn't compile. But 4.2.3 should be ok, right?

Yeah, Qt 4.2.3 is ok, I had some 4.3 snapshots not compiling too, you could
try again later perhaps, or just wait until it's released, should be within a
few months.

The backtrace indicates that the problem happens when assigning a value from a
tribuffer, to the destination float buffer. I guess it's iterating beyond the
boundaries of the buffer....
Was the audio file by any chance saved in a 24 bit format ?
That is, really storing the audio data in 24 bits, which kinda needs a special
way of reading writing, since normally you use 16 or 32 bits at a time...

Are you sure libsndfile was compiled correctly ?
Hmm, it needs to be compiled as if it was running on a Big Endian system
now..., right ?
It appears libsndfile was compiled with Little Endian defined, or at least
assumes it should use littlen endianess when reading the audio data...

> > That's bad...
> > Does the Jack driver work ?
>
> Didn't compile jack and alsa, because I thought Port audio would be the
> most elegant solution.

Yes, that is indeed the idea...

> Oh well, who needs audio import anyway? :-P

Hah, I've no idea ;-)

> P.S. Believe it or not: http://www.ardour.org/ (I thought Hurd would be
> released first :-D)

Woow, they did it..!
Though it still looks the same *evil grin*