Re: [Traverso-devel] Resources Bin

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Resources Bin
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 20:28:26 +0200

Remon wrote:
>>> Currently, the bin has a clips listview, audio sources listview, and
>>> showing them both.
>>> Jonatan requested to show them in  a TreeView, audoclips as childs of
>>> audio sources.
>>>
>>> My question is, would it suffice to only have the TreeView, or to use the
>>> Both entry in the combobox selector to show the TreeView, and have the
>>> listviews ?
>> As I see it, it would suffice with only a TreeView. And perhaps
>> "collapse all" and "expand all" buttons.
>> I don't see the point with a clip list when you don't know which clips
>> they are and what source they come from!
>
> Currently, the clips have the same name as their source.
>
>> Also, I'm a little confused by the fact that there can be multiple clips
>> with the same name! As I see it, each clip (each region of a source
>> file) is individual (unless we implement ghost copies). But now, if I
>> split a clip in two then there's two clips with the same name, even
>> though it's apparently two different clips!
>>
>> I also wonder why some clips are greyed out, what does it mean?
>
> Clips / audiosources that are greyed out aren't in use at the moment. When
> you
> remove a clip, it still can be retrieved from the resources manager, giving
> you the ability to re-use the clip at a later point, or other song.
>
> Audiosources that are greyed out don't have any audioclips.
>
> Obviously, an option will be added to clear unused clips and audiosources.

Ok, nice!

Also, I think it would be good if it was possible to know which clip in
the songview corresponds to a list item in the clip list... When we have
selections back (with working copy/move/delete) one could simply show
the selection in the list, so all selected clips are selected both in
songview and clip list.

> Now we're at that, the naming of clips isn't that trival. Before the 'copy
> of'
> was added when a clip was splitted/copied.
> But after a few splits or copies, the name gets horribly long!
> What do you suggest ?

Just append a dash and a number "-1". And if there already is a number,
increment it by one until there's no other clip by that name.

> Also, for newly recorded audioclips, what naming should be used ?

What about "recording-1" and then the same incremental of numbers...
And then, there have to be a "rename source" and "rename clip" command
so one can give them useful names.

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]