Re: [Traverso-devel] Normalized export

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Normalized export
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 20:58:32 +0200

> Hmm, just found one thing:
> 1) I tested with a song with a single clip, which I lowered the gain on,
> then exported with normalize checked. This resulted in a fully
> normalized file, as it should.
> 2) Then I exported it without the normalize checkbox, it resulted in a
> file with very low gain (perhaps too low, I thought).
> 3) I then tried to normalize the clip (in the songview) and export it
> without the normalize checkbox. This should result in the same file as
> the first one (fully normalized) but it didn't, it resulted in a file
> with very low gain (but not as low as the second test above).

Hmm, did some tests, but it seems to work fine here.
Are you sure the Song and Track gain is at 0 dB ?

> BTW, perhaps one should instead have a "normalize song" action, which
> changes the Song Gain according to the same principles as the
> normalize-at-export feature above? Then the checkbox at the export
> dialog would simply execute this action before export...

Not sure what the difference is between the 2 ?

To calculate the norm factor, you have to render the part that is exported,
which is exactly what we do now.
The seconds pass does the same thing, but now applies the norm factor to the
rendered audio before writing to disk.

Please, enlighten me :D