Re: [Traverso-devel] Normalized export

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Normalized export
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 23:44:26 +0200

Remon wrote:
>> Sure, but it won't take any longer than exporting with normalize
>> checked... If not, then I'm clearly missing something. =) The idea was
>> that one at least has the possibility to normalize the entire song even
>> without exporting. And that would also give the user a clue of how much
>> off the main gain is (by looking at the resulting song gain after
>> normalization).
>
> Yeah, I see now, makes sense. Hmmm, Song normalize....
> Needs some thinking, I think the same logic, including the progress dialog
> should be used since in many cases, it will take some time...
>
> About your normalization problems, I'll try again to reproduce, but it seems
> to work fine here.
> A normalized clip does play it's highest values at 0 dB in the VU-Meter....

Please try and export the file, and look at it in another app.
The test is this:
* Begin with a non-normalized clip (preferably one recorded with too low
gain so the difference is more visible).
* Export the song with normalize checkbox enabled.
* Normalize the clip < N > and export the song with normalize checkbox
disabled.

Now, these two exported files should be exactly the same gain, right?
But looking at them in another editor (or importing them in traverso
perhaps) shows they have different gain. At least here!

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]