[Traverso-devel] Troubleshooting

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Troubleshooting
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:42:42 +0200

Hi List,

How does installing cdrdao work on Windows? Is there an official binary? Is
anything else required to get cd-writing to work?

I also started to write a "troubleshooting" section for the manual. If anyone
has some more ideas than the ones listed below, please let me know. Anything
trivial or not-so-obvious users will stumble across is welcome.

Cheers
Nicola

Q: Playback is not smooth and I get lots of xruns
A: If you are using an Intel onboard sound chip, you may have to set the
Number of Periods to 3 instead of 2. This can be done in the ``Audio Driver''
page of the Preferences dialogue, or in your jackd configuration (e.\,g.
qjackctl).

Q: I can't hear anything
A: If playback seems to be working (VUMeters indicate a signal), but you hear
no sound, check if the ``Null Driver'' is loaded. If yes, load a different
driver, e.\,g. ALSA on Linux, or PortAudio on OS X or Windows, and try again.
If you are using the jackd driver, make sure the output of Traverso is
connected to a hardware output. This is described in chapter
\ref{sect_setup}.

Q: I can't load the driver
A: One problem could be that the buffer size specified in the driver settings
is too large for your sound card. Try reducing the latency a bit. It can also
happen that the sound system is blocked by another application or demon. If
you are using KDE, make sure aRTs terminates automatically after a few
seconds, and try to shut down any other application blocking the sound card.