Re: [Traverso-devel] jack transport control

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] jack transport control
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:17:36 +0200

Nicola Döbelin wrote:
> Hi Remon,
>
>> It's soooo silent in here....
>
> I can forward my spam mails to the list if you want some background
> noise :-P
>
>> Let's do somehing about it, ehm, say we want jack transport
>> control, which starts to kinda work, and then I'd like to record
>> something that some other application generated.....
>>
>> I hit the record button, and oops... the transport starts rolling
>> allready..... That's how currently the record button behaves, it
>> starts recording instantly.
>>
>> Anyone with a suggestion how to properly handle this situation ?
>
> I'm a bit confused, is that the behaviour we agreed on? Can't
> remember. Maybe a button switching Traverso from "Master mode" (usual
> behaviour) to "Client mode" (which accepts start/stop commands from
> other jack clients, and changes the behaviour of the rec button)
> would be helpful.

Yeah, I think the record button should behave as on most other recording
equipment/software: press record and then play. So if one wants to
record but synch the start from another app through transport control,
just press rec and press play in the other app.
I know little about jack transport control, but is there continuous
synchronization also or only start/stop? (something like MidiTimeCode)
It would be nice to be able to record stuff generated from a sequencer
and have multiple takes be in synch with each other, just like I synch
my external 8-track fostex D-90 through MTC with my sequencer software.

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]