Re: [Traverso-devel] Some glitches with 0.40.0

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Some glitches with 0.40.0
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:18:42 +0200

Hi Nicola,

About your problems with 0.40.0, I think it's much much much much better to
solve them now, wether they are real or not (== build problems vs real bugs)
in 0.40.1 !

The issues you described that are related to the contextual interface, and
that it isn't a solution for all situations, of course, but that's not a bug
or glitch, or something else, it just means we're not there yet!

The 'Fade context Dialog' was an attempt to fix the problem of too small
graphical objects, but it didn't work out since the dialog moved the focus
from the clips view, and it just didn't work out...

One idea that crossed my mind is similar to the 'fade context dialog' and
the 'select small object and edit from somewhere else'

I think it's something that's used elsewhere, but perhaps different. The point
is that an object could be too small to be edited contextually, so
we 'select -> magnify' the object, and it becomes large enough, while the
rest of the viewport remains the same.

Say you have a clip of 20 pixels height, and 10 pixels width, selecting the
area -> magnify, magnifies the selection part to say, 100 height, 250 pixels
width. Within the magnified area, you can use the contextual interface just
like you was used too, including scroll, zoom, split, well, you name it....
Until implemented, it's hard to know if it will work, but what do you guys
think ?

> > Regarding the layered thing, it would be helpfull to create a set of
> > examples, see how other applications deal with it, and ehm, you actually
> > can create a custom keymap right now which binds certain actions to
> > modifier keys, and see how it works out!
> > The best way to detect if something works is to try it out....
>
> Ok, I'll give it a try. I have some more ideas related to key actions, but
> I'll think them out a bit more before getting on your nerves O:-)

Hah, yeah, you actually did work on my nerves .... :)

Remember that the contextual interface isn't the solution to everything, and
that there are numerous more ways to accomplish something, so don't try too
hard to bypass the limitation of the contextual interface that are there due
it's nature!

Another commonly used solution is to show the 'clip edit widget', docked
somewhere when you select a clip with all the stuff you want to edit with
comboboxes, sliders, buttons and so on....

Greetings,