[Traverso-devel] Sharing buffers between AudioReaders

From: ben levitt
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Sharing buffers between AudioReaders
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:33:53 -0700

Remon, some research after our discussion earlier today:

sndfile, wavpack currently use their own temp buffers, and would
benefit from using a shared buffer.

mad, flac, only keep a 1 block (1152 frames for mad, 4608 frames is
typical for flac) buffer.  But this buffer is not fully flushed with
every read.  The rest (overflow) is saved for the next read.  So it
can't be shared.

resampler currently uses it's own temp buffer that is the size of the
biggest read it has seen so far, plus a little extra for src overflow.
Since the extra is saved for the next read, this buffer can't be
shared either.  Although this could probably be reworked to allow the
overflow buffer to be small, like 256 frames, and the rest to be
shared.  Although, this buffer couldn't be shared with its child
reader, obviously.  :P  So when resampling, we'd need 2 shared
buffers.

vorbis writes straight to the real buffer, so no temp buffer is used.

Ben