Re: [Traverso-devel] Large file support

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Large file support
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:05:29 +0200

Hi,

> Considering that there are also file systems out there with similar
> limitations*, wouldn't it be a good idea to start a new file when the 2GB
> limit is reached?

Hehe, I purposely forgot about that option :D

> I can even see advantages besides the given limitations,
> e.g. backing up many 2GB files on DVD is much easier than one 10GB file.
>
> I would suggest the following solution: Make the default file format
> optional, but also add an option "split files into 2GB chunks". For file
> formats with a 2GB limit, this option should always be active.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Don't know really, splitting into 2 GB chunks seems like a difficult thing to
implement.

Recording with 2 GB limit makes for ~ 1 hour and 40 minutes of audio @ 44.1
KHz - 2 channels if I did the math right.
One channel of course doubles that time.

The question is if anyone wants to record that long, and if they really need
to record that long if they want to do so on a shared FAT32 partition? (Can't
think of another file system in use today that still has the 32 bit limit)

I'm afraid that the rather complex way of a splitting files into 2 GB chunks
won't be used by anyone, besides that, if people want to record that long
they better use WavPack, which doubles the recording time....

But you have a point about creating a DVD backup..... Hmmm, better use an
external hard disk :)

Greetings,