Re: [Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 22:43:00 +0200

Hi,

Good points you have here. I've been thinking about a somewhat different
approach.
Since all (well, almost all) actions are dispatched via the InputEngine, we
could add a 'edit weight' to each action.
The cumulative edit weight then can be used to trigger a save and create
backup action, it of course could also be combined with a timeout value, if
after elapsed timeout time cumulative hasn't triggered the threshold, still
do a save + backup.

> Backup strategy:
> - no backups (never create a new project file)
> - reasonable (only create a new file if the project is loaded)
> - paranoid (each saving creates a new file)
>
> Some sort of "date of expiration" could also be used to avoid uncontrolled
> growing of the archive. E.g. by an option "Delete backup files older than X
> days, but keep at least Y backups".

Exactly, this feature is also used in rdiff-backup, but it shouldn't be too
hard to create such a feature ourselves.

> I'm just brainstorming. No idea if all this makes any sense...

Sure, excellent ideas!

> P.S. I know, I'm an options junkie. And yes, I use KDE ;-)

LOL