Re: [Traverso-devel] multichannel output

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] multichannel output
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:37:39 +0200

> Another thing regarding JACK in Traverso, I've noticed that if the JACK
> samplerate isn't equal to the one used in Traverso, the playback speed
> will be wrong. Perhaps this is fixed in CVS?

Yes, that's exactly what we're working at in CVS, on the fly samplerate
conversion, or in fact, it's universal samplerate support, samplerate now is
as transparent to Traverso as is the bitdepth (we're talking about Traverso's
internal routines of course) This is not handled by Jack or most of the
available audio applications, and imho a major downside in respect to user
friendliness.
However, CVS currently converts only at the reading end of the chain, so if
all audiofiles have a different samplerate then the outputrate by alsa/jack
then the conversion could take up a lot of cpu.
I've planned to add a 'plug' like feature so Traverso's audiobackend can also
convert the received audio to the samplerate in use by jack/alsa.

> I'd though JACK would have built-in samplerate conversion so that
> clients could connect with different rates and all was converted to the
> actual hardware rate, but I guess this isn't the case?

Nope. Jack doesn't know really about samplerate, it just processes buffers
with audio data.