[Traverso-devel] build optimizations for x86 64 bit and apple, denormal

From: Remon
Subject: [Traverso-devel] build optimizations for x86 64 bit and apple, denormal handling
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:20:32 +0200

Hi packagers and optimization gurus,

I've updated the sse assembly code (which was used from ardour) to ardour2's
version.

Some new stuff was imported, veclib (mac os x) optimizations which existed for
a long time but wasn't added to the build system, since at the time I was
working on buffer mixing stuff no mac os x port existed...
If you have a ppc based mac os x, please build and test with this line
uncommented in base.pri:
# DEFINES += BUILD_VECLIB_OPTIMIZATIONS

A new file was added for x86 64 bit sse optimized routines, it should work
fine, but it's not build and runtime tested by me. For people that have a
x86_64 arch, it's automatically detected and enabled by the build system, let
me know please if it works or not.

The cpu flags are evaluated now to enable compilation flags mmx, 3dnow and of
course the sse instruction set and sse assembly stuff when they are
supported.

N.B. These optimizations only are taken into effect in release build of
course!!!

Also something that I became aware of recently, denormal handling of float
data [1]. If the cpu supports it, denormals are now treated as zeros, dunno
if we should make it a configuration option to choose between the available
options (DenormalNone, DenormalFTZ (Flush to Zero), DenormalDAZ (Denormals
Are Zero, currently used))

Have a nice weekend!

Remon

[1] http://ardour.org/node/139