[Traverso-devel] Build system updates, cmake

From: Remon
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Build system updates, cmake
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 16:49:29 +0100

Hello all (and dev's in particular)

I've installed Ubuntu Gutsy this week, and it works great :)
Not that it's something you like to know hehe.

But for some reason, the arch program is gone, and I had to change it too
uname -m in base.pri to detect the architecture (for setting the
corresponding compilation flags)

Besides that, instead of doing usefull things, like fixing the tons of bugs
that are left, I added support for compiling Traverso with cmake, which
stands for Cross platform make.

It's a powerfull tool, with which we can check in a very simple way if all the
needed headers and libraries are installed, it has a simple 'GUI' to
enable/disable certain compile options, like debug, alsa/jack support,
install path etc. Of course a command line tool, basically one runs cmake .
and after that, running make is sufficient.
Another very nice thing is that it has a dependency checker, so when you
change a header file (say AudioDevice.h) then all the files in the _whole_
project that include this header are rebuild, and libraries/executables that
are affected are relinked.
I think this is one of the biggest complaints when it comes to the current
build system, and well, that should be solved now :)

It's still a local and experimental tree, but if you like to try it out
(specifically for the Mac OS X packagers), then I'll happily send a tarball
once the remaining bits from the current build system are ported to the cmake
one.

There are modules for building for linux, Mac OS X (framework stuff, XCode
projects etc) and even a module for Windows packaging......
Anyway, see here for the packaging stuff:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators

And here for the rest:
http://cmake.org/HTML/Documentation.html

Have a nice weekend!