[Traverso-devel] cmake and Mandriva 2008

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] cmake and Mandriva 2008
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:23:52 +0100

Hi everyone,

Since Remon committed the changes to the build system and I switched from
Kubuntu to Mandriva in the meantime, I'd like to briefly share my experience
with Traverso on Mandriva.

I refrained from installing Mandriva in the past for two reasons:
- I always had the impression that the free versions were not complete, and
that I had to become a club member in order to get access to the full
repository
- The 2007 KDE-version had an orange theme which almost burned the desktop
into my retina.

As both reasons are no longer an issue with the 2008 version, I decided to
give it another try. And I must say I am impressed. It's a very polished
release. The control centre is a bit slow, but tidy, powerfull and
feature-rich. They finally merged the 'Add' and 'Remove Software' parts into
the same GUI, wow!

I added the PLF repositories to get all the illegal packages used by pirates,
terrorists, and communists (dvdcss, lame, ...), that's the only thing I had
to use the command line for.

All the dependencies for Traverso are available from the repos (once PLF was
added). Some of the package names are different from Kubuntu (e.g. "librdf"
vs. "redland"), but after about half an hour the build system was up and
running. cmake couldn't find qmake, which is installed in /usr/lib/qt4/bin,
but changing it manually in the cmake configuration solved the problem.

Traverso works just fine, but I yet have to allow realtime priority for the
audio thread as described in the troubleshooting section of the traverso
manual.

All in all a very appealing distro which is definitely on par with *buntu,
SuSE, Fedora and the likes, and setting up a compile environment for Traverso
is about as simple as it gets.

That's all, thanks for your attention ;-)
Nicola