Re: [Traverso-devel] Remote Transport Control

From: Fred Gleason
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Remote Transport Control
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:59:07 -0500

On Friday 30 November 2007 03:27 pm, Remon wrote:
> Don't know much about OSC, although I see it mentioned sometimes on LAD.

Basically, you can think of it as MIDI enhanced to be fully TCP/IP-aware.
That's an oversimplification, but it captures the basic idea.  See:

        http://opensoundcontrol.org/

> There are basically 2 plugin systems now in Traverso, the effects plugin,
> used in the audio processing chain, LV2 inherits this Plugin class.
>
> And there is the TraversoCommands plugin...

What I had in mind was:

        http://www.traverso-daw.org/command-plugins.html

Which sounds like what you were discussing.

> It would perhaps be a good idea if you can give a global idea what you want
> to do, and in which way, so we can look together what the current options
> are, what is missing, and so on.

Basically, I need to be able to load and unload tracks as well as control the
playout transport (start, stop, etc) via TCP/IP.  This could be as simple as
a basic telnet-style command line interface (ala the remote control system
for the VideoLAN client).  Specifically, I'm looking to be able to integrate
Traverso with Rivendell (an Open Source radio automation system, see
http://www.rivendellaudio.org/).  While OSC would be overkill for this
specific use, I'm thinking that it would be an appropriate framework to use
as it could have many applications in Traverso beyond simple transport
control.

Or, of course, I may be rushing off to reinvent the wheel.  :)  Has anyone
else started work on something like this already?

Cheers!

|       Be braver -- you can't cross a chasm in two small jumps.          |
|                                            -- Anonymous                 |