Re: [Traverso-devel] line based audio painting in cvs

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] line based audio painting in cvs
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:27:37 +0100

Am Montag, 7. Januar 2008 20.57:26 schrieb Remon:
> > Every action requiring a redraw of the audio clip (dragging, gain, or
> > just soft-selection) lags about 1 sec behind the cursor. According to top
> > it's a problem with X, as I can easily saturate the CPU with X by moving
> > the cursor on the screen and causing a lot of soft selections. It doesn't
> > matter how long the displayed region is. The clips I was using were only
> > 3 minutes long, but their source files were > 1 hour.
>
> Sounds like a serious problem too me though :P

Yeah moving clips with 1 fps is no fun. You never know if it snapped or not.
And zooming takes > 3 seconds per step. But now that I can import audio files
again ;-) I found out that what I wrote before is not quite correct. It
depends on how much of the clip is visible on the screen, the file size is
irrelevant. So it boils down to horribly poor painting performance, but no
relation to file size or absolute clip length. My screen is 1680 px wide, so
if there are painting problems, I will definitely notice it. The PC also has
an Nvidia GPU (5600 something). Someone from KDE noticed that the CSS drivers
have massive performance problems wit Qt4 (see
http://nowwhatthe.blogspot.com/), maybe this adds to the problem. I'm copying
the >1h files to my notebook right now, which has an onboard intel GPU. These
didn't show any problems with Qt4 in the profiling tests of the KDE blogger.
I'll let you know how it works in a few minutes.

Cheers
Nic