Re: [Traverso-devel] line based audio painting in cvs

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] line based audio painting in cvs
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:46:20 +0100

Hi,

Stumbled by accident on some performance related painting stuff today, so I
figured, let's dump it here.

Some ideas, in respect to nvidia and xorg. Do you have EXA or XAA enabled as
acceleration architecture ?
Does it work better with the nv driver ?
When using EXA, have a look at these options:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MigrationHeuristic

A user in #traverso reported with a " Identifier"nVidia Corporation NV34
[GeForce FX 5200]" and i use nvidia-glx-new" configuration: ~ 3% xorg load,
12-18% traverso load, PIV (don't remember GHz, something around 2.4 iirc)
Equal results painting either with polygons or lines.
When moving an audioclip :)

What I wonder about now is, should I remove the line based painting, it's not
a 'lower cpu using' alternative for polygon based painting, and imho it looks
ugly :)
It adds to the code that needs to be maintained, and jet another option which
most users won't find or use anyways....?

Last but not least, we should probably mention these problems somewhere, and
if certain settings improve the real bad performance issue, list it as a
possible solution.

Greetings,