Re: [Traverso-devel] Zoom

From: ben levitt
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Zoom
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:35:02 -0800

On Jan 16, 2008 9:37 AM, Remon <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The Zoom function can be annoying at times, so what about the following:
>
> [ Z ] : Zoom horizontal only
> [ Z ] + < V > : Changes jog zoom to vertical only
> [ Z ] + MouseScrollWheel: horizontal zoom, + vertical in/out on scroll up/down

I think this is a great idea.  I too have been annoyed when [ Z ] did
unwanted vertical zooming.

> Centering on the workcursor is another thing that can be annoying.
> What about:
>
> During playback: Center on playcursor
> No-playback: Center on the mouse-cursor position

I was also thinking about changing this.  :)  Although I thought it
already zoomed to the play cursor when following the playhead?
Something I thought of which seems like a good idea, but might feel
too complex, is:

 - when following the playhead, zoom to the playhead
 - when not following playhead, and the work cursor is on screen, zoom
to the work cursor
 - when not following the playhead and the work cursor is not on the
screen, and the mouse is on the clipsViewPort, zoom to the mouse
location
 - when not following the playhead and the work cursor is not on the
screen, and the mouse is not on the clipsViewPort, zoom to the center

Maybe that would feel confusing and complex to users.  But sometimes
extra complexity in the code can make an app feel less complex, if it
always just does the right thing.  Hard to tell without trying it...
:)

Ben