Re: [Traverso-devel] CD Cover

From: hollunder
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] CD Cover
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 21:49:07 +0100

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:26:54 +0100
Remon <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I like the idea of allowing exporting the track list in multiple
> > formats (text, html, csv, etc), but I don't think we should try to
> > create a built-in cover creator/editor.
>
> You're absolutely right about that, it's just that the current
> solution prints to 'a html file somewhere' with which it is not
> possible to print it directly to a suitably sized format on paper. (~
> 120 x 120 mm)
>
> And since we do have all the information needed, I thought it might
> make sense to render the html with an added background to a pixmap,
> and send that to QPrinter :)
>
> I needed some sort of cover, and messing with Gimp was counter
> productive....
>
> > I guess we could add printing a simple tracklist as one of the
> > export methods...  :)
>
> Indeed, so my idea is just to improve the current html format a bit,
> and add a print dialog with about some 2-3 buttons to alter the
> backgrounds image and font parameters.
> The cool thing about using css as the 'layout system' is that one can
> create fairly sophisticated layouts with just one piece of html code,
> and they can be added by whoever wants to hack another stylesheet.
>
> > I guess I feel like we should focus on polishing up the audio
> > editing user interface before we add cool extras like this...
>
> Sure, if I didn't have wasted 2 hours today to print that #&(address@hidden
> cover from within the Gimp hehe.

I'm with ben on the subject of covers, a simple way to get the track
title/length as text would be enough imho.

> The good thing about it is that I used Traverso for some simple
> project now, and one of the things that were missing is a simple way
> to move one clip over a long distance, hence the somewhat 'fancy'
> feature 'Zoom during clip move'. Another one is the Marker editor
> dialog, which is very broken. I like to add an < E > on Markers
> itself, which shows it's Edit dialog to modify its position(?) and
> description. Another one: [ M ] which does: add Marker _and_ move,
> since I happened to add markers with < M > but wanted to adjust its
> position by a tiny bit, and to do so I had to point to the marker
> moving the mouse to the timeline, result: counter productive :(
>
> Also highly missing is clip selection, and moving the group of
> selected clips. Very usefull is the Fold Sheet/Track, but it makes
> the audiothread stall here at times, which is TREMENDOUSLY BAD!
>
> Lot's of stuff to work on!

And one more thing I noticed today:
It would be really nice to have a way to export just a certain region.
The only real way to do that currently is to delete everything else.
Hackish ways I tried:
If you put the region on a separate track and mute all others the
length of the file is still defined by the end of the last region, even
if it is muted.
Putting the selected region on a different sheet doesn't work either
(or I couldn't find out how.

> Greetings,
>
> Remon

Best Regards,