Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip Grouping, how to deal with them

From: reinhard
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip Grouping, how to deal with them
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:39:55 +0100

Am Tuesday 19 February 2008 19:01:46 schrieb Remon:
> > btw - two other actions needed, respectively a small change of the
> > concept IMO.
> >
> > < S >                       : Do hard-select pointed Clip. When
> > hard-selecting another clip
> > the other/initially selected clip will be de-selected, so no need to
> > explicitly de-select a clip.
> > << S D >>           : Add pointed Clip to hard-selection.
> > << S A >>           : Remove pointed Clip from hard-selection.
> > [ S D ]                     : Start a jog-create to add more clips to
> > hard-selection.
> > [ S A ]                     : Start a jog-create to remove some clips from
> > hard-selection.
>
> I tend to dis-agree, for 2 simple reasons: << S D >> and << AS >> are
> tremendously hard to do, instead you should use < SD > and < AS >

ups, I don't understand why I wrote << S D >>  since what I meant was < SD >.
Seems to be my typo of the day ;)

> and even
> then, it's still hard because it's a Double Key press and release action
> with the 'little finger' involved,

hhmmm, seems we have different handling to perform actions. I'm rarely using
my little finger. Most of time I'm using just 3 fingers (ring, middle and
forefinger), so < KK > as well as << KK >> key actions are no problem for
me ;)

> and I'm having a hard time to make < AS
> > work! What often happens is that the action becomes: < S > which then
> often leads to selecting a single clip, and deselecting all the others!

yep, using the little finger is sometimes really hard to perform...

> Reason 2: There is no single reason why one would select 1 clip _only_, if
> you select a clip then you _will_ select another one, or two or etc....
> When you decided that a clip you added to the selection with < S >
> shouldn't have been selected, type < S > again, and all is fine, and there
> is _much_ less chance to ruin a selection by an < S > action on some clip.

yep, convinced!

> And why 2 (difficult) actions for starting a Selection? [ S ] will do
> perfectly fine?

ok, as you said - let's give it a try!

> > Another btw ;)
> > What about hard-selecting tracks?
>
> NO WAY!
>
> (well, not until audio clip selection is implemented, routing, plugins for
> clips and so on :P )

:) that's indeed for later... ;)

> Adding Plugins to AudioClips is certainly possible, the 'only' thing
> preventing it is the lack of visualization ....

??? sorry, don't understand what you mean...

greetings
reinhard