Re: [Traverso-devel] Hello

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Hello
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 22:53:26 +0200

Hello John,

> There's a much bigger problem looming though....  If I understand it
> correctly, Traverso's timeline tracks are all mono audio channels (is that
> correct?).

No, the Tracks can contain audio 'clips' (called regions in Ardour?) with  'n'
number of channels, but currently it is assumed in very view places the
maximum is 2, partially for the panning effect.

> If so, that's a different arrangement to Ardour.  In Ardour,
> each timeline track (Diskstream) can have any number of audio channels.  So
> a track can be mono or stereo.  Or it can have 4 channels (for Dolby LCRS).
> Or 6 channels (for Dolby 5.1) etc.  I guess that's quite different from
> Traverso.

There is indeed a bit of a difference, as I said, mostly in how Ardour deals
with panning and how Traverso currently does that :)

Greetings,

Remon

P.S.
Support for 'Buses' is on the TODO list, and as far as I understand it, Tracks
are a special case of a Bus, which can hold 'audioclips' whereas Buses
can't....
Adding support for Buses would be relatively easy then  :)