[Traverso-devel] Next release

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Next release
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:25:34 +0200

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to see that some of you have plans to work on Traverso in the near
future. As you may have noticed, the last few months have been relatively
quiet, mainly because Remon, the driving force in the project, has taken a
time-out to concentrate on his new job. From what I've heard he enjoys his
regular income now ;-) and I wish him all the best and a lot of success. I'm
sure he will have more time for Traverso again once the dust has settled.

Our latest release was in december 2007, and the most obvious changes since
then are the GUI modifications. I mainly focused on making it a bit more
'standard compliant', better integration in KDE/Gnome and OS X, and better
scaling on huge and tiny screens. Now that this work is complete, Remon and I
agreed that it would be a good time for a new minor release once the remaining
bugs in the zooming code and some painting issues are sorted out. If we
release soon, we'll have several months time to work on bigger changes
afterwards. (I'm not a big fan of strict time-based release schedules, but an
interval of 6-9 months seems to be ideal to keep the user base interested.)

One feature which should have high priority for the next major release, as the
longer we wait, the more it will become a show-stopper, is latency
compensation. It seems to be rather complex, and frankly I have no clue how to
implement it in a way that it also works with the fanciest routing setups in
future. Any help is desperately needed. If you have experience, advices, or
ideas regarding latency compensation, please let us know.

What do you guys think of these plans? Comments are welcome.

Best regards, and thanks to everyone who contributed to the project.
Nicola