Re: [Traverso-devel] Demo Projects

From: ben levitt
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Demo Projects
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:10:46 -0800

Maybe a good compromise would be:
 - have a separate directory in cvs for the demo projects outside of
the main traverso directory (so you wouldn't have to check them out if
you didn't want them)
 - create separate release source tarballs for source and demos
 - create separate linux packages for traverso and traverso-demos
 - have a known location on each platform where the demos get
installed, and where traverso looks for them
 - in traverso, we could check to see if the demos are installed, and
if so, enable an otherwise grayed-out menu item for Open Demo
 - when saving a modified demo, we should probably save a copy of the
demo project to the user's projects directory
 - maybe we could offer versions with and without the demos for the
windows and mac releases?
 - the demo audio could be compressed, at least with wavpack, to reduce the size

This way, the demos would be versioned per release, not live updating
and downloadable from within the app.  But it sounds like that's an
okay trade-off to make.

And I think we probably don't want to tie demo installation to the
build system, since I imagine most users won't be building from
source.

What do you think?

Ben