Re: [Traverso-devel] Simple bug fix proposal for crash on insert silence

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Simple bug fix proposal for crash on insert silence <IO> command
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:02:19 +0100

Hi,

> > I was thinking it might make sense to rename these from "silent clips"
> > to "spacers" or "spacer clips", since that's what I always use them
> > for, and since most other people don't seem to use them.  :)  Maybe
> > more people would use them if they were named better?
>
> For the moment i don't use them and if i would it would be as spacer
> clips as well.
>
> Nevertheless i could imagine another use for them but i don't think it
> would work with the current implementation: i know there are some
> ladspa plugins that are not filters but generators, so applying them
> on a silent clip and adding some filter plugin to it could yeld
> interesting results... but for that the silent clip would require to
> have channels. And also here the name wouldn't fit, an "empty clip"
> would fit better. But for this to be useable the empty clip should
> have channels.

There is another type of clip coming as well, the metronome clip. I haven't
thought it out in detail, but my feeling is that it makes sense to create some
sort of AbstractAudioClip or AbstractClip (BaseClip, something like that)
where AudioClip, MetronomeClip, SilentClip etc inherit from.
This leaves the individual foo::process() implementation to do funny things,
like nothing for a spacer clip, too generating the metronome pulse thing etc.

It's just an idea, I'll gladly hear any opinions on this one. The obvious
benefit is code sharing, without messing with lots of 'if then' in
AudioClip::process(), similar for AudioClipView....

> Would there be any interest for this ? I know from http://lv2plug.in/
> that lv2 plugins can also be generators. If there is interest in it
> would it be better to choose the number of channles when creating the
> silent/empty clip like choosing the duration or would a clip property
> editor be better that would allow setting the channel number ? The
> later could be used on other clip as well i presume. Or does something
> as a clip property editor already exist somewhat or is planned ?

Everything that has a dedicated Editor can be opened with < E >
So try < E > ing on everything you want to 'edit' (say changes the name)

> And while talking clip properties, a way to split a stereo track to
> two mono tracks could be usefull as well, i think i saw a feature
> request for that on savannah. The question would be how to handle
> tracks when doing this.

Probably with a similar approach to how we handle Clip Selection? More or less
replacing the Track with a TrackGroup consisting of 2 copies of the original
track?
Note that we in the future also need to support the AUX Bus thing, so another
level of abstraction might do the trick here as well.

Cheers, Remon