Re: [Traverso-devel] Routing: SubGroups

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Routing: SubGroups
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:08:26 +0100

Hi,

> one thing that jumps out at me is this statement, on page 8: "In theory
> the MasterOut bus is nothing but a subgroup where all signals pass
> through before going to the hardware."
>
> does this imply that you are not allowing connection to external
> processes, except from MasterOut? there are lots of scenarios in which
> one might want to send signals from subs or tracks to other hardware
> besides the main monitors, or to other software for processing. then,
> of course, we should also be able to connect arbitrary input points to
> output from other software as well, so that we can form processing
> loops which are external to traverso.

Your are absolutely right, my statement above was not accurate. I was referring
to the way the MasterOut works internally, but it doesn't mean that all signals
have to pass through it before going to the hardware output. In fact, once the
hard-coded connections are configurable, it will be just a matter of selecting
"Playback X" as a track's playback bus (instead of MasterOut or Sub X), and the
signal will be routed directly to the hardware.

> i guess, in terms of external DSP, i'm getting into things which are
> usually handled by inserts and sends, which may be beyond what you're
> currently implementing. however, for live monitoring, the ability to
> send Sub or Track outputs to arbitrary hardware could be quite useful.

With the planned features it will be possible to route the signal to an
external device and record the return signal on a new track. This is not the
best way to handle the return signal, it's not really how inserts work, but I
guess this (as well as signal splitting for Aux Sends) will have to wait for a
later release ;-)

Cheers
Nicola