Re: [Traverso-devel] curious about trackstart units

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] curious about trackstart units
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:01:06 +0100

Hello Peter,

> with some of my own answers...

:D

> >1. should we have more precision available in the clip dialog, so we can
> > set clip times as accurately as they are represented in the project file
> > -- or at least with samplerate accuracy? 2. what is the significance of
> > samplerate X 640?
>
> ahah... of course... it's the smallest common multiple of the common
>  samplerates up to 192k -- so we can position things, with one positioning
>  system, all the way up to 192k. that makes sense.

Yes, that's exactly the idea behind it.

> >3. how are project file trackstart numbers and what we see in traverso
> > actually related -- i.e. how is the increased precision in the project
> > file dealt with, and what accounts for the (apparent) slight
> > discrepencies between what i'm seeing in traverso and in the project
> > file?
>
> when sliding things around at extreme zoom, i have movement between "jumps"
>  in the position indicator of the floating clip info box. so, the project
>  remembers positions with an accuracy of 28224000 positions per second, but
>  the displays in the GUI are limited to ss.xxx --- ok, but i'd still say we
>  should be able to position, within the GUI, at least to the samplerate of
>  the current project.

I see.

> also, i've just noticed that ALL markers positions are displayed in the
>  marker list box to an accuracy of only 75 f/s. this makes sense for CD
>  track markers, but i'd say other markers should have the possibility of
>  samplerate-accurate positioning.

Yes, it is technically possible right now, the Markers are used for marking CD
tracks currently, hence the 75 f/s in the dialog.

Could you please add a bug report(s) prefixed with "Feature request" and
describe what you want, and how you want it to work?

Discussing the feature on this list is obviously fine, and the preferred way.
Adding it to the bug tracker just ensures that I won't forget about it.

Greetings,