Re: [Traverso-devel] copy = move !YIKES! [RETRACTION]

From: plutek-infinity
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] copy = move !YIKES! [RETRACTION]
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:37:06 -0500

>From: Remon Sijrier <address@hidden>
>Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:01:18 +0100
>
>> sorry about that... it *looked* like that's what was happening, as i
>>  followed the process in one filemanager. in fact, the original files are
>>  still intact.
>
>:D
>
>> there were other problems, however:
>>
>> out of 179 files, only the first 39 imported successfully. the remainder
>>  are at severely reduced level (sndfile-info shows level between -40 and
>>  -60, for files which were actually in a healthy -6 range), and one, which
>>  started ok, went to a looping small segment of the file after the first
>>  1-1/2 minutes.
>>
>> wierd... anyone else seeing issues with the new project file importer?
>
>Nope, though I didn't import that many files with it. If you import the files
>by hand that failed with the automated import, does the same happen? (just try
>one or 2 you know that failed with the automatic import)

hmmm... i've done a bunch more importing now, all successful -- i believe this
was a hardware issue. i was reading the files in from an external hard drive.
it was just starting to do some strange things around the time of that initial
import. right after the import it had spontaneously unmounted and was, of
course, unreadable. it's quite possible that it failed *during* the import,
causing the strange import. i've put the drive in a new enclosure, and imports
are fine.

one question out of all of this:

the maximum vertical track zoom gives us the largest available vertical
waveform view, right? i.e. there's currently no vertical waveform zoom within a
given track height, or a logarithmic waveform view? when trying to see what was
actually present in the low-level files of the failed import, i could have used
more vertical zoom. i do also frequently deal with material which requires
operations on sections of waveforms that will be hard to see with the current
display.

sorry for the false alarms.... cheers!

--
.pltk.