Re: [Traverso-devel] track gain automation

From: plutek-infinity
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] track gain automation
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:51:14 -0500

>From: Remon Sijrier <address@hidden>
>Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 23:27:06 +0100

>> 1. track and subgroup gain automation (this is the biggie, for me)...
>
>'works' now in git, that is, compile and runtime tested, but there could be a
>hidden bug somewhere. Except it's not shown to you in 'effects mode' for now.
>this is due how plugins and their automation curves are shown. We need to make
>it possible to just make one 'plugin curve' active at a time, and make that
>one 'topmost' so you can edit it.
>Suggestions on how to expose this to the user are much welcomed!

although you may be looking for a more general paradigm.... here's an initial
idea:

for gain, which already has [G] in both clip and track contexts, could we just
use a modifier with the [G] for automation curves in those contexts. i see that
ctrl-[G] and alt-[G] don't seem to be occupied. maybe ctrl-[G] could activate
the gain curve for clips and alt-[G] for tracks. that could be for a specific
clip or track -- you could switch individual clips or tracks in/out of gain
automation mode that way. F2 could still be a global gain curve mode for all
clips, and F3 (which is unused, right?) could send all *tracks* into gain curve
mode.

probably some "unclaimed baggage" in there, eh.... but, hey, maybe it's a
start?!?

>> 2. automatic clip crossfades
>>
>> building every crossfade by individually setting both the fade out and the
>>  fade in is quite tedious. there should be an option for automatic
>>  crossfades whenever clips are overlapped, or some other method for
>>  building crossfades more quickly.
>
>Maybe, just maybe, a 'create crossfade' command would be the easiest trick to
>do.

that would be a reasonable short-term goal.

> .... long explanation snipped....

thanks for the explanation! unfortunately, my coding skills are far too basic
to dive into that right now!

>> 3. lv2 plugin GUI implementation
>>
>> there are some plugins which really require the visual feedback of their
>>  GUI -- compression is the foremost example.
>
>Hah

:-)

>> 4. plugin parameter automation
>
>double hah