underware-devel

[Underware-devel] Python interface and network code

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Underware-devel] Python interface and network code
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:13:42 +0100

        Hi,

        A set of classes are dedicated to network events (maf/network.h)
and are known to the python interpreter (see the new python interface
in underware/underware instead of underware/python).

        A side effect of the current python code dedicated to the
network is that it exemplifies the best practices to bind C++ to
python, even when dealing with derived classes in C++ that we want
to be followed and complemented by Python classes carrying the same
name.

        It is a bit cumbersome for the network packets but I'd be
inclined not to question the amount of C++ code involved since it's
mostly cut and paste. From a conceptual point of view the process is
very straight forward and mimicing the current code is relatively easy
(that is assuming you are familiar with python and it's C interface ;-).

        Underware will follow this way of transmitting the events from/to
C++/Python, and gameplay events will circulate (I'll deal with announcing
networked players, time synch and start of game tomorrow).

        Cheers,

--
Donate to FSF France online : http://rate.affero.net/fsffrance/
Loic Dachary, 12 bd Magenta, 75010 Paris. Tel: 33 1 42 45 07 97