vampire-public

Re: [Vampire-public] Several remarks about installation, help and featur

From: Maxime Biais
Subject: Re: [Vampire-public] Several remarks about installation, help and features
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:00:38 +0200

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:01:52 +0200
Nicolas Burrus <address@hidden> wrote:

> vampire.py cannot find the modules located in
> /opt/vampire-0.2/lib/python2.3/ site-packages. To handle this, I think
> the simplest solution is to generate shell wrappers, such as:
>
> $ cat /opt/vampire-0.2/bin/vampire
> #!/bin/sh
>
> exec /usr/bin/python2.3
> /opt/vampire-0.2/lib/python2.3/site-package/vampire.py $@

Ok, we will use this kind of wrappers for executables scripts
(vampire, vampire-xml2html, telnetwrapper, sshwrapper).

> About the help and messages
> ====================
>
> * Default options should be explicited in `./vampire --help' (ex:
> port=2811, ...)

Added to the new features list.

> * $ ./vampire -d
> Vampire/home/lrde/stud/burrus_n/.vampire/hosts.xml: ##ERROR: No such
> file or directory
>
> This message is not very clean (notice the leading "Vampire")

Fixed.

> About the features
> ============
>
> * I think an important features is missing (or I didn't find it).
>
> I first explain the problem:
>
> I need to check Olena on both netbsd hosts and linux hosts.
> On netbsd hosts, I want to give the --without-broken-feature-on-netbsd
> flag to configure. This is not a host configuration directive neither a
> tarball configuration directive, I need a way to explain that when the
> tarball T is used with the class C, I need the flag F.
>
> Maybe a way to declare class specific things into tarball directives
> would be enough, for example:
>
> <tarball name="olena" class="from_cvs">
>     <var name="MODULENAME" value="olena"/>
>     <!-- Specific variable for netbsd, irix and macosX -->
>     <var name="CONFIGURE_FLAGS" value="--without-broken-thing-on-netbsd"
>
>            class="netbsd,irix,macosx">
>
>     <!-- Specific command for hpux -->
>     <command name="echo I am happy to be on hpux" type=remote
>     class="hpux" />
>
>     <!-- Command for all classes -->
>     <command name="./configure %(CONFIGURE_FLAGS)" type=remote />
> </tarball>
>
> What's do you think? Would it be difficult to implement?

you can write something like:

<command name="./configure $(if [ %(CLASSNAME)s = \"netbsd\" ]; then echo
--without-broken-thing-on-netbsd; fi)" type=remote />

note 1: notice the trailing 's' at the end of variables name. A variable
begins with "$(" and ends with ")s".

note 2: default variable CLASSNAME is not yet implemented (it is really
easy to do, but there is other easy things to do before :).

note 3: I recognize your solution is cleaner, and I will add this in the
new features list.

> * Is there a way to include xml files into others?
> For example, it would be nice to have a standard tarball xml file with
> the default class, and include it into specific tarball configuration
> files.

Added in the new features list

> * A summary log extractor in ascii
> Having a summary log of what happened (just OK or FAIL) for each class
> in a text form would be handy to send automated emails after a check.

I just add src/vampire-log-summary.py to summarize XML results in ascii

generates:

Vampire Summary Log
<tarballname> - on <hostname> -> <status>

example:

Vampire Summary Log
autoconf-2.57.tar.bz2 - on apoil -> OK
vampire-0.2.tar.bz2 - on apoil -> OK

I will soon add the class after the hostname:

--
Maxime Biais