Re: [VM] VM sending something other than text/plain?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [VM] VM sending something other than text/plain?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 08:13:58 +1100

It does sound a little odd, but I have had similar issues when it
comes to cutting and pasting, but not with mail. In my case, the issue
was due to cutting and pasting from another emacs buffer where emacs
was including the text properties in the paste. However, for this to
occur outside of emacs, the emacs text properties (which include the
font-locking info) would need to be translated into something which
another program (ie. in your case, your receiver's web client) can
understand. The only things I can think of which *might* cause this
are packages such as htmlize, which can convert font-lock information
into html representations of the text. I think there may also be a
package which does similar, but for rich text. Alternatively, maybe
your cut and paste is including ANSI escape characters which bash is
using and these are being interpreted by gmail.

Perhaps the first thing to do would be to send a test message to the
list which is constructed in the same way the one you describe was
i.e. with cut and paste from a bash shell. We can then look at the
content and MIME information to see what might be triggering gmail to
render text in different colours.

Tim

--
Tim Cross