Re: [VM] mime decoding

From: Patrick P Murphy
Subject: Re: [VM] mime decoding
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 10:39:10 -0400

On Wed, 09 May 2012 16:08:05 +0200, Salome Södergran
   <address@hidden> said:

> I have upgraded my system from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 these days and
> now the MIME decoding is no longer working.  I used to have the
> following lines in my .vm-file which did the job fine:

>   (setq vm-mime-base64-decoder-program "mimencode")
>   (setq vm-mime-base64-decoder-switches '("-b" "-u"))
>   (setq vm-mime-base64-encoder-program "mimencode")
>   (setq vm-mime-base64-encoder-switches '("-b"))

> The metamail-package (to which mimencode belongs) seems to be no longer
> maintained and is no longer to be found in the ubuntu repositories.
> I installed mpack and substituted the above lines with:

>   (setq vm-mime-base64-decoder-program "munpack")
>   (setq vm-mime-base64-encoder-program "mpack")

I've been using a pair of small, very old C programs for years:
base64-decode.c and base64-encode.c; they date from 2000 (!).  Have not
used them on 12.04 yet; but they work well on both RedHat and Ubuntu
10.04.

You're more than welcome to them if you want; I just put a copy of both
here:

  http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/base64-decode.c
  http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/base64-encode.c

They're very generic C and should compile easily with gcc.

> Now I get the message "Did not find anything to unpack from standard
> input". The decoding works allright if I save the message first and do
> "munpack filename" in the terminal.

Does "cat filename | munpack" work?  I assume that's (similar to) the
mode in which vm calls the external programs.

HTH.

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Webmaster (East), Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml

       All your sanity and wit, they will all vanish, I promise;
       It's just a matter of time.
                                               -- Gogol Bordello