Re: [VM] Old bug in "vm-8.2.0b"

From: Dr Rainer Woitok
Subject: Re: [VM] Old bug in "vm-8.2.0b"
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:17:48 +0200

Uday,

On Monday, 2013-08-05 11:01:02 +0100, you wrote:

>                                        Beta versions are generally safe to
> use, even if they don't have the full functionality that the developers
> intended for them.

Talking about beta versions: "vm-8.2.0b",  too, is quite old (almost two
years now), and it would perhaps be a good idea  to be more current with
both products, XEmacs and "vm".  XEmacs is available  as a Mercurial re-
pository, which is fine  with me, because  I have Mercurial installed on
my computer  and am using it  a lot myself.  I do neither use Bazaar nor
have it  installed,  but Mercurial can  convert  a remote  Bazaar repos-
itory, provided it can access it.  However, the URL

   https://code.launchpad.net/~vm/vm/trunk

does not return anything, even if I prefix the "code.launchpad.net" part
with my launchpad  account and password.   Is there a publicly available
URL I coud use?

> If vm-mime-thumbnail-max-geometry is non-nil, VM assumes that you want
> thumbnails.
>           The solution is to disable thumbnail generation.

I wouldn't call it a "solution" but  a "workaround".  A "solution" would
recognize by itself that for whatever reason thumbnail generation failed
and would then insert the paper clip instead.

But looking  at the  code and  at what  "vm-mime-thumbnail-max-geometry"
does I agree with you that setting this configuration variable to nil is
a way cleaner workaround than the patch proposed by me.  So I'll go with
your suggestion here.

> This is not worthy of patching VM because there is nothing wrong with the VM
> code.  The problem is with your environment.

Yes and no.  The cause may well be with my environment, but the way "vm"
handles  this should  clearly  be improved.  Particularly  because  this
clearly wasn't just my environment,  else Google wouldn't have turned up
other people suffering the same problem.

Anyway, thanks for your time :-)

Sincerely
 Rainer

| Rainer M Woitok                | Phone : (+49 60 93) 487 95 95       |
| Kolpingstraße 3                | Mobile: (+49 172) 813 6 831         |
| D-63846 Laufach                | Mail  : address@hidden     |
| Germany                        |                                     |