[VM] Moving from VM Was: Time to move to Mutt?

From: Diagon
Subject: [VM] Moving from VM Was: Time to move to Mutt?
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 17:00:03 -0700

 ---- On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 17:20:39 -0700 Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> wrote
----
 > address@hidden writes:
 >
 > > After way too many years to mention, I'm starting to think that
 > > viewmail is a dead project.  I can't do elisp programming, so it's
 > > probably time to move to mutt as my CLI based mail reader.
 >
 > CLI = command line interface?
 >
 > I agree it is unlikely that VM will last long. I don't know when it will
 > die. Probably when new RfC's will come along and we may not have the energy
 > to process the new kinds of messages. But, at the moment, it seems to work
 > fine.

It's going to die??  NOoooo!  I only barely just switched from rmail!  :-<

Hey, all my mail is still in 1000 (2000?) Babyl files.  I just discovered that
Python has a pretty much universal email converter:
https://rg3.name/200711221740.html

If I'm going to continue to use VM while I can, and if wherever I move next,
I'm going to stick with emacs, what mailbox format should I be starting to move
to?

(Thanks for your work.  What fields are you, the maintainers, in?)

 > Cheers,
 > Uday

(And yes, I agree with someone else's comment that people are abandoning email,
and for good reason.  It's not just that the security properties are terrible,
but it can become overwhelming.  Except for dealing with e-lists, fora, and
various businesses etc, I'm mostly on Signal, Keybase, Riot and the like.)

/D