Should we still avoid using visual-line-mode?

From: Yeechang Lee
Subject: Should we still avoid using visual-line-mode?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 02:02:12 -0700

Way back in 2012 Uday advised against using visual-line-mode
(<https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/viewmail-info/2012-05/msg00017.html>).
Does this advice still apply?

VM 8.2.0b sends out a message in plaintext when no line exceeds 998 characters
as per RFC 2822 and 5322. When a line does exceed 998 characters, VM in my
testing encodes the message in base64. I doubt that in 2020 anyone is using an
email client that cannot handle base64.

This message is written with

;; (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'visual-line-mode)

The second line replacing the first, which has been in my .emacs for decades. I
can revert the change and return to hard line breaks after ~70 characters per
line if there is good reason to do so, but is there any?

PS - Can VM send with quoted-printable instead of base64?

--
geo:37.783333,-122.416667