Thank goodness for VM!

From: Daniel Barrett
Subject: Thank goodness for VM!
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 08:11:50 -0500

I just want to express my appreciation for VM and Uday and all the
people who have worked on it.

Yesterday I had the "privilege" to work with two of the most popular
email client programs in the world. Using client "A", I tried to move
30,000 messages from one IMAP folder to another. The process simply
fails, silently, without moving any messages.

I tried the same operation with client B. It executed the operation
(taking 8+ hours) and told me that all the messages moved
successfully. However, its count of "unread messages" in the first
folder won't update (it's still in the thousands, with only 21
messages in the folder).

Worse, the IMAP mail server itself shows that only about HALF the
messages moved -- a random subset with no rhyme or reason.

Client "A" still tells me NONE of the messages moved, and no amount of
syncing the folders changes that.

It's crazy that a mature technology like email can have such poor
software. Client A is Thunderbird, and client B is MS Outlook.

VM JUST WORKS. It maintains my 3600 email folders, storing over 670000
messages, with ease, for decades. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett@blazemonger.com