vile

Re: Dianosing lack of colour highlighting

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: Dianosing lack of colour highlighting
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:08:38 +0100

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 05:44:38PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> [...]
Thanks.  It's tomorrow morning now. :-)

I've just checked and colour is working on the phone's screen itself,
it's only in an ssh connection to the phone that it's not working.  So
that suggests to me that I need to check what TERM is set to on the
phone itself......

Hmmm, that's not much help.  TERM is set to 'xterm' on the phone
itself and, as I said, colour works in vile there.  But via an ssh
connection (with the client end having TERM=xterm as well) I don't get
colour in vile.  I do get colour in vile when running across ssh
connections to other systems.

Why would I see colour directory listings across the ssh interface but
not colour within vile across ssh?  Whereas colour works for directory
listings *and* within vile when run directly on the phone screen.

--
Chris Green