vile

Re: UTF8 has stopped working in vile after OS upgrade

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: UTF8 has stopped working in vile after OS upgrade
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 15:40:12 +1000

Testing the vile 9.8v-2 package on my Debian machine I get some decidedly odd behaviour:

The following sequence:

  <Compose>l- <Compose>e' <Compose>c,

is rendered in vile as:

  \?A3\?E9\?E7

outside of vile, in the same terminal that appears fine:

  £éç

which would suggest that vile doesn't handle UTF-8 at all, although as Chris noted, entering those three characters using C-v x <hex> works fine, and renders in vile correctly.

Even more odd, *other* characters work fine with compose in vile:

  <Compose>## <Compose><" <Compose>e,

for example input fine, and appear in vile as expected:

  ♯“ę

xvile is similarly odd, and launched as:

  xvile -xrm '*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso10646-1'

behaves in the same way: using compose, ♯“ę works, but £éç does not.  Similarly, the latter does work using C-v x <hex>.

Things are more screwy with the Debian shipped app-defaults (hence the -xrm flag), which uses "8x13" that turns out to be an alias for the 8859-1 variety of that misc font, not the unicode one.  That however is my fault, and I'll fix that in an upload shortly.