vrs-development

[Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]VRS architecture docs

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]VRS architecture docs
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:12:50 +0100

> Keeping in mind that we are developing specifications
> here, not implementations at this point,  your right.
> Protecting the LDS from attack from a host machine,
> especially from the root of the host, is going to be
> very challenging, if in fact it's possible.

I think that that is probably the first question that we should
answer, whether this is impossible or just very challenging.

I personally don't think that it'll be possible... and if this
is correct, then we can save a lot of effort by not trying.  In
particular, debugging will be so much easier if we can use a
standard directory structure.  It will also be much easier to
achieve good performance and reliability when all data is stored
completely at every node.

> Of course, talking about security is always a matter
> of degree.  We can only make things more difficult to
> break into, never impossible.

I think we should enumerate the conceivable attack scenarios
that the system tries to protect against, and those for which we
know that we don't offer protection.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member