vrs-development

[Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]The Worldwide Computer

From: Chris Smith
Subject: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]The Worldwide Computer
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:01:08 +0000

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 13:58, Bill Lance wrote:

> The above recognizes the need for 'sole-source
> servers' to protect confidential data, which I agree
> with. They then use that as a justification for a
> 'central control server', which I do not agree with.
> They then assure us that fears of a bottleneck are
> unfounded, which I probably agree with.  But then
> never mention the fears of the power to monitor,
> control and restrict activities on the ISOS.  No
> government, no consortium and no single company or
> individual can EVER be granted that power if the rest
> of us are to remain free in any meaningful sense of
> the word.

Hmm.
Recall my email where I discussed large data sets etc NOT being distributed
across the VRS, but causes webservice calls for this data to be routed to the
'private' LDS where they are located?
Well, that's basically (as far as I can tell) a 'sole-source server', with
the scope of my description extended to cover sensitive data as well as
huge/complicated data/resources.  But with the private LDS, the owner is
responsible for the security - presumably they trust themselves!

Okay, so then you're not distributing webservices/data (I'm going off the
webservice term TBH.......) in this case.  However, it doesn't stop anyone
setting up an LDS (or collection of LDS's for load/resilience benifits) and
touting themselves as a 'Secure Sole Server' to which entities that are not
interested in maintaining a continuous network presence may farm their data.

Ish, anyway.

Chris

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.