vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] new to vrs

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] new to vrs
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:23:43 +0100

On Thursday 04 July 2002 21:08, Ian Fung wrote:

> I'm not saying I refuse to work on the third part, but from what I
> understood from what you said, it seems like the third part is just for
> compatibility with the rest of world right?

Well the third part makes it applicable to dotGNU !!!!!
The third part should be the first thing implemented really so that the
dotGNU community can start using it to serve real C# etc services.
It'll then expand into a cluster architecture.

> well if its middleware, wouldnt we want to roll it out in more than one
> language? either way my vote is Java/C# because it will help keep us in
> line with the design while developing a middleware. also i think it will
> help us spot problems in the design if they should come up.

You can't have memory running away with you etc with Java/C# which is the
nice thing - sigfaults and mem leaks become a thing of the past.  Given a
sensible modular design, it shouldn't matter which language is used for any
particular module - Java/C# however bring with them the confidence that array
bounds/head overflow type bugs will be reported nicely and not generated
spurious core dumps.

> so now i have an idea of what vrs consists of. where can i look at the
> details? are there design docs, code, anything? if there is i would like
> to check it out before starting.

The VRS website has most of the informaion - though there are quite a few
pertinent design idea's floating around the VRS mailing list that haven't
necessarily being documented 'officialy' yet.
If you have the time, I'd suggest a browse of the list archive:

http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/vrs-development/

There is an awful lot on Goldwater and various other ideas relating to
cluster management etc, authority and control.  Quite interesting.

Also do have a look at Goldwater - it's downloadable and there is a *simple*
test suite provided in both perl and C.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Ltd.