vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Cluster Management

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Cluster Management
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:55:43 -0700

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 20:31, Ian Fung wrote:
> example if an LDS leaves the vrs, its going to take a discrete
> amount of time before that information is propagted to other LDS's.
> so what is considered as the current version of the LDS list?

This is pretty much the same problem that we have with the distributed
filesystem.

Any time that you need to have state (be it a filesystem or a list of
LDS nodes) that is consistent among a number of distributed nodes,
you need to use a two-phase commit protocol...  You *can* guarantee a
single consistent shared LDS list, it's just tricky to do.

It does complicate things when the act of synchronization (the
two-phase commit protocol) depends on the data we're trying to
synchronize (the list of LDS nodes).  I haven't quite figured out how
that will work.  Probably time to pull out my transaction processing
book again and start reading. :-P

eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi